Tips for New Homebuyers in 2017
Buying a home in 2017? Keep in mind that the process is much more than finding something you like and can afford. The Henderson Team is dedicated to educating and advising new home buyers with the process as well as guiding them from start to finish. Purchasing a home is not at all like you may see on reality TV shows – it takes time, understanding, experience and knowledge. The following tips will help you start:
- Check your scores! Be conscious of how to improve your credit score. High credit scores equal lower mortgage rates. Call a lender and find out how much you qualify to purchase.
- Just because your older siblings put 20% down on a home ten years ago doesn’t mean that you have to do the same. In fact, there are ways in which you can get a mortgage for less than 5% down!
- Shop with a list! Consider things that you want to have in your home. While you may not be able to cross off every item on your list, you may find a home that is only missing a few of those ‘must-haves’. Remember, this is your first home, not your last.
- Don’t forget to consider the neighborhood. Look at the area in and around the one you are looking at – are the other homes well kept? Is it safe? Is it predominantly an older neighborhood? Younger? If you have (or want) children, you will most likely not want an area that has only single individuals or older couples. This is not an area that your Realtor can discuss; it is up to you to determine where you want to live.
- Know the difference between a cosmetic change, and a change that would take more resources (time, money, and effort). The staging may look beautiful but look beyond surface features. Pay attention to layout, uneven floors, and structural issues, big and small. Some paint, new carpet, and clean windows can do a lot for a home…be sure it doesn’t need much more than that!
If you are in the market for a new home, and live in and around (or want to) the Richmond, Virginia, area, please do not hesitate to contact us. Your home, our priority!
Joe and Barbara Henderson
1 Park West Circle, #202 Midlothian Va 23114.
Call me at 804-334-8640 (cell) or email me at email@example.com.
Licensed in Virginia; VREB.